Action Day to counter Sexist Hate Speech - 8 March 2017
International Day for Women’s Rights (March 8) is a global day celebrating the social, economic, cultural and political achievements of women. The day also marks a call to action for accelerating progress towards the realisation of women’s rights and gender equality.
On 8 March, the No Hate Speech Movement calls on young people to counter sexist hate speech through education and advocacy, raising awareness on the impact it has on women and men, human rights and gender equality.
Building on existing work of the campaign on Sexist Hate Speech in 2016, this year’s Action Day will aim:
- To raise awareness about the extent of the problem of sexist hate speech in Europe through statistics, figures, articles and hate speech examples,
- To speak up for gender equality and women’s human rights in all fields of life by providing positive examples of counter narratives and other initiatives promoting positive narratives on gender and gender equality
- To invite women and men to speak up for gender equality and equal rights and why it’s important to them and society today and tomorrow,
- To share good practices of educational tools for working with sexism, sexist hate speech and sex-based discrimination
- To raise awareness about policy framework to address gender discrimination, sexist hate speech and advance gender equality
Please find below the recommended actions and prepare for this global Action Day for Women's Rights:
- Post a label ‘This is sexist’ on online materials and in comment sections to call out sexist hate speech.
- Post counter-narratives to often encountered gender stereotypes used in sexist hate speech
- Promote the recommendations of the Seminar Combatting Sexist Hate Speech and the Seminar Gender Matters
- Give visibility to inspiring examples that promote gender equality, positive gender roles, and counter sexist hate speech.
For further information see the suggested actions.
ERYICA invites all its Members and stakeholders to join the initiative and support the success of the Action Day for a better future for women.